While we at Sealy take sleep seriously, we love to look on
the lighter side of life – much like Christel-Michel
Kruger, the writer behind The Nocturnal Wenchy blog. In her latest blog post, Wenchy
takes a tongue-in-cheek look at the challenges of trying to get a good sleep in
Describing the challenges of
a nocturnal mind wanderer, Wenchy writes, “You may just get comfy, roughly throw your leg over your
partner, let out a big sigh (the same one you make when you take your bra off
at the end of the day) and bam the thought hits you… ‘Did I lock the back
Describing herself as “a fierce Mental Health advocate and a lover of frivolous laughter and intelligent conversation”, Wenchy knows the importance of sleep and a good mattress. Perhaps after following tips from our Sealy blog, Wenchy would consider changing the name of her blog to “The Well-Rested Wenchy”?
Keeping in the good-humoured
spirit of Wenchy’s latest blog post, we’ve rounded some of our favourite jokes
I’m so good at sleep, I can do it with my eyes
Dear Sleep, I know we had problems when I was a
young kid. I love you now and I’m totally devoted to our relationship.
Sleeping is my drug. My bed is my dealer, and my
alarm clock is the police.
Happiness is… not having to set the alarm for
the next day.
What do you get when you eat cookies in bed?
It hurts when someone you love says mean things,
like “wake up”.
Insomnia sufferers, look on the bright side…
only three more sleeps until Christmas!
Did you know that most modern mattresses don’t have to be flipped? Sealy No-Turn mattresses are here to make life just that little bit easier.
Also know as ‘one-sided mattresses’, no-flip mattresses are built from the ground up and offer phenomenal support, customisation and comfort. Instead of having a supportive core surrounded by comfort materials on both sides, no-flip mattresses start with a supportive layer on the bottom and have comfort layers stacked on top.
Sealy No-Turn mattresses have twice as many comfort layers when compared to traditional coil-spring mattresses.
This allows for many remarkable benefits:
1. More potential to create a more comfortable mattress.
2. Twice as many comfort materials means that the single sleeping surface should theoretically last twice as long.
3. Reduced motion transfer for those who share a bed with an active sleeper. Just because they move, doesn’t mean your whole bed needs to.
4. Less effort required to prevent uniform wear and tear – rotating definitely requires less manpower than flipping does. Plus, most Sealy mattresses come with convenient side handles designed for easy handling.
Our Sealy story begins in 1881, in Sealy, Texas, when Daniel Haynes, a cotton gin builder, made cotton-filled mattresses for a few of his friends. Fifteen years later, Haynes sold his patents to a Texas company that retained the Sealy handle. Soon after, ad exec Earl Edwards penned the slogan “Sleeping on a Sealy is like sleeping on a cloud.” And with that, Sealy mattresses became a US phenomenon.
In 1967, the first Sealy Posturepedic mattress was produced at a factory in South Africa and the Sealy Posturepedic was first aired on television. It wasn’t long before our people loved the ingenuity of the Sealy Posturepedic mattress too and Sealy became the number one mattress choice.
In celebration of our 50th Birthday, we take a look back and discover how things have changed and how things have stayed the same.
What’s changed since 1967?
Over the last 50 years, there has been extensive interest in sleep. Sleep research, sleep medicine and sleep technology have unlocked many sleep mysteries and aided in the development of even better materials and mattresses.
Look at this ad from around 1989… R459 for a bed! The good old days!
On our birthday, it is with great joy that we recall some of our greatest milestones:
• Creating the Sealy Posturepedic – the first mattress of its kind that provided not just comfort but also postural support.
• Registering patents for a variety of groundbreaking technologies – including PostureTech Coil with Sense & Respond Arm; Pressure Relief Inlays and healthy fabrics, designed to relieve pressure points.
• Reinventing the innerspring coil to give tailored support and pressure relief.
• Introducing the use of latex and Gel memory foam into our mattresses to improve sleep quality.
• Producing Sealy mattresses at multiple facilities in Johannesburg, Cape Town and KwaZulu Natal.
• Being the first mattress company to offer a range of comforts – Firm, Medium, Plush and Extra Length.
• Creating an Orthopedic Advisory Board in the USA – a group of the finest doctors, clinicians and orthopedic surgeons who play a critical role in the design process.
• Creating the Pressure Mapping Lab Center of Excellence in the USA, a first-of-its-kind facility where all Sealy Posturepedic mattresses are scientifically tested to ensure that they provide maximum comfort by eliminating the uncomfortable pressure points that cause tossing and turning.
• Launching Do-Not-Turn mattresses to the consumer, a one-sided mattress.
• Commissioning the first large-scale consumer research study in the South African bedding industry.
In 2017, after all these new developments, has anything at Sealy South Africa stayed the same?
At Sealy, we still have a very simple mission: to help the world sleep better
• We continue to produce high-quality mattresses at affordable prices- even our budget-priced mattresses have quality features and materials to ensure durability.
• All our products are manufactured to the ISO.9001/2 quality system, ensuring every mattress leaves our facility quality controlled.
• Did you know that the Sealy Posturepedic is still the only mattress brand in the industry that has pressure-relieving standards for every mattress produced?
• Our family of mattress brands can be found in homes like yours, hotels and luxury resorts worldwide, and even the White House, making Sealy the no.1 consumer choice in South Africa.
• Sealy is also a leading supplier to the hospitality industry in South Africa and can be found in some of the finest establishments.
• We are proud that our consumers are loyal and have made Sealy and its brands the most popular in the world.
• Through its design, manufacturing and leadership, Sealy will always have an undying dedication to helping the world sleep better.
And so at 50-years young, we at Sealy South Africa are poised to continue in this legacy for many years to come.
Every parent aims to give their baby the best they can and most nesting begins with just that… building your baby’s very own nest or nursery. Most moms-to-be feel terribly anxious until they are satisfied with where and how their baby is going to sleep. One of the biggest decisions that parents-to-be face is whether to co-sleep with their baby or put their baby in its own cot. The Sealy Cot Mattress is the answer for many moms.
Whatever you decide, there will be many times in that first month (and beyond!) where a cot will be a practical solution during self-care activities (bathing, dressing etc..), whilst minding other children or pets or if co-sleeping means you’re not getting much sleep at all.
The style of cot is dependent on your personal taste but a good quality mattress is a must. Sealy has two exciting products that will surely enhance your nest. The first is the Sealy Cot Mattress made of natural fibres that are waterproof, but breathable. The mattress fibres have a polyurethane layer that allows air to pass through but prevents liquids from following along. This ensures that the mattress retains its anti-bacterial properties despite the spills and thrills that come along with baby-rearing. At the same time your baby is ensured comfort and ventilation. Furthermore, Sealy’s individually wrapped pocket springs give postural support to your babies developing body. To clean simply wipe down the mattress with a damp cloth.
The second product is the Soft Touch Bamboo Cot Mattress Protector. Bamboo is a soft, natural fibre that absorbs six times more moisture than cotton. The mattress protector serves to make your mattress last longer but also to keep your baby as comfortable as possible.
A good night’s rest is one step closer with a safe sleeping environment that is clean, dry and warm. Visit the Sealy website to find out more about Sealy’s range of mattresses and accessories.
To celebrate our 50th birthday we are giving you the gift of sleep! Here are 50 things you need to know about sleep:
1. Sleep helps maintain solid relationships – both at home and at work.
2. Nap for 10-30 minutes a day and you will improve your productivity in the afternoon.
3. Sleep 7.5-9 hours each night and you will have less cravings for high-carb/high-fat food.
4. An adult’s sleep cycle is 90 minutes- set your alarm clock to go off when you would be scheduled to come out of a sleep cycle and you will find it easier to wake up.
5. Sealy sprung foundations act like a shock absorber contributing to your comfort and support.
6. Are you an early bird? You can thank your genes if you are a morning person.
7. Getting enough slumber improves your reaction times and decreases your risk of causing a car accident.
8. The average base and mattress set lasts about 8 years.
9. Sleep helps us feel happier about ourselves and others.
10. Sealy mattresses use Cool Gel technology to help keep you cooler at night.
11. Electric blankets might keep you warm, but they shorten the life-span of your mattress. If you must use an electric blanket, keep it at a moderate heat.
12. Children and teens who get enough sleep perform better at school.
13. Don’t skimp when buying a new bed for your child – their growing bodies need support too.
14. Good sleep equals less sports injuries for athletes.
15. Drinking warm, sweet milk will make you feel sleepy.
16. Get good shut-eye and halve your chance of developing diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity.
17. Switch off all screens one hour before bedtime and you will fall asleep faster. There’s an app that can help you with that: The Net Nanny app.
18. A sleep mask can help you sleep more deeply.
19. Partner tossing and turning? A Sealy posture pocket mattress may be what you need to get a good night’s sleep.
20. De-clutter your bedroom to fall asleep faster.
21. A mattress protector can give your mattress an additional five years of life. Click here to view Sealy’s range of mattress and pillow protectors.
22. Use a happy scent like lavender and vanilla in your bedroom to build a positive association with sleep.
23. Taller than average? Sealy is available in standard 188cm and extra length 200cm in select models, providing a longer sleeping surface for the taller individual.
24. Cuddling stimulates both happy hormones and sleep hormones – give some hugs and kisses to your loved ones each evening.
25. A larger mattress means you are less likely to disturb your partner. Click here for tips on selecting the right kind of mattress.
26. Sleep-deprived people consume an average of 385 kcal per day extra. This is the equivalent of four slices of bread.
27. Do you doze on your back? Put a pillow under your knees to take the pressure off your lower spine. Click here to find out if your sleep position is causing you pain.
28. A warm bath triggers sleepiness. Bath just before climbing into bed and you will fall asleep faster.
29. Sleep naked and you could live longer!
30. When lying on your back or side, your pillow should keep your head in line with your spine.
31. Sex before bed can help you sleep better.
32. Do you suffer from allergies? A mattress with Aloe Vera fabric is the answer. It ensures your mattress is hypo-allergenic and stays cool, fresh and dry.
33. Getting enough sleep improves fertility in men and women.
34. Paint your bedroom in a calm shade and you will feel calm too.
35. Night owls seem to be smarter and more creative than those who keep a more conventional bedtime.
36. 85% of South Africans do not get the sleep they need (7,5 hours or more) each night. Find out more about South African sleep habits: Sealy Sleep Census results
37. Never buy a mattress without spending at least one minute lying in the position you sleep in to see if it offers the right amount of support. Click here for tips on how to buy the perfect mattress.
38. Writing down five things you are grateful for each night before you go to bed improves your general mood.
39. Create happier dreams by listening to uplifting music just before bedtime.
40. A mattress does not need to be ‘firm’ in order for it to be good for you. Sealy mattresses offer the correct support regardless of the firmness.
41. Earplugs are a great way to mask loud noises that would otherwise disrupt your sleep.
42. Eat foods rich in B-vitamins, like bananas and oats, to help your muscles relax and fall asleep.
43. Fresh, breathable bedding helps your body warm up or cool down as needed. Buy the best quality linen you can afford to get a better night’s sleep.
44. Bamboo fabric is an intelligent textile technology with moisture wicking properties. It helps keep your mattress dry and your body cool.
45. Side-sleeper? Put a pillow between your knees to alleviate back and hip pain.
46. A double mattress offers a surface area equal to the width of one cot mattress for each adult. Now that’s a tight squeeze!
47. Candlelight does not interfere with melatonin-release, like blue electrical lights do. Enjoy a candle-lit dinner or bath and fall asleep with ease.
48. You will spend one-third of your life on your mattress – buy the best mattress you can afford.
49. Invest in a good mattress and it will cost you just a few cents per night over its lifetime!
50. Buy your bed from a retailer with a great reputation for service and integrity. Click here to find your closest Sealy retailer.
We want to give you more than just great sleep advice for our birthday. Whilst it may be our 50th birthday, we here at Sealy want to celebrate you, our loyal customer! Get your share of R250 000 by buying a Sealy mattress before 30 September 2017. Enter online here on our Sealy 50th Birthday page.