Our Sealy story begins in 1881, in Sealy, Texas, when Daniel Haynes, a cotton gin builder, made cotton-filled mattresses for a few of his friends. Fifteen years later, Haynes sold his patents to a Texas company that retained the Sealy handle. Soon after, ad exec Earl Edwards penned the slogan “Sleeping on a Sealy is like sleeping on a cloud.” And with that, Sealy mattresses became a US phenomenon.
In 1967, the first Sealy Posturepedic mattress was produced at a factory in South Africa and the Sealy Posturepedic was first aired on television. It wasn’t long before our people loved the ingenuity of the Sealy Posturepedic mattress too and Sealy became the number one mattress choice.
In celebration of our 50th Birthday, we take a look back and discover how things have changed and how things have stayed the same.
What’s changed since 1967?
Over the last 50 years, there has been extensive interest in sleep. Sleep research, sleep medicine and sleep technology have unlocked many sleep mysteries and aided in the development of even better materials and mattresses.
Look at this ad from around 1989… R459 for a bed! The good old days!
On our birthday, it is with great joy that we recall some of our greatest milestones:
• Creating the Sealy Posturepedic – the first mattress of its kind that provided not just comfort but also postural support.
• Registering patents for a variety of groundbreaking technologies – including PostureTech Coil with Sense & Respond Arm; Pressure Relief Inlays and healthy fabrics, designed to relieve pressure points.
• Reinventing the innerspring coil to give tailored support and pressure relief.
• Introducing the use of latex and Gel memory foam into our mattresses to improve sleep quality.
• Producing Sealy mattresses at multiple facilities in Johannesburg, Cape Town and KwaZulu Natal.
• Being the first mattress company to offer a range of comforts – Firm, Medium, Plush and Extra Length.
• Creating an Orthopedic Advisory Board in the USA – a group of the finest doctors, clinicians and orthopedic surgeons who play a critical role in the design process.
• Creating the Pressure Mapping Lab Center of Excellence in the USA, a first-of-its-kind facility where all Sealy Posturepedic mattresses are scientifically tested to ensure that they provide maximum comfort by eliminating the uncomfortable pressure points that cause tossing and turning.
• Launching Do-Not-Turn mattresses to the consumer, a one-sided mattress.
• Commissioning the first large-scale consumer research study in the South African bedding industry.
In 2017, after all these new developments, has anything at Sealy South Africa stayed the same?
At Sealy, we still have a very simple mission: to help the world sleep better
• We continue to produce high-quality mattresses at affordable prices- even our budget-priced mattresses have quality features and materials to ensure durability.
• All our products are manufactured to the ISO.9001/2 quality system, ensuring every mattress leaves our facility quality controlled.
• Did you know that the Sealy Posturepedic is still the only mattress brand in the industry that has pressure-relieving standards for every mattress produced?
• Our family of mattress brands can be found in homes like yours, hotels and luxury resorts worldwide, and even the White House, making Sealy the no.1 consumer choice in South Africa.
• Sealy is also a leading supplier to the hospitality industry in South Africa and can be found in some of the finest establishments.
• We are proud that our consumers are loyal and have made Sealy and its brands the most popular in the world.
• Through its design, manufacturing and leadership, Sealy will always have an undying dedication to helping the world sleep better.
And so at 50-years young, we at Sealy South Africa are poised to continue in this legacy for many years to come.
Stand a chance to win 1 of 5 prizes of R50,000 cash, enter into the Sealy 50th Birthday Bash before end September 2017! Click here for more information.
Written by Roxanne Atkinson